Productivity and Building Human Capital for the "Bottom Third"
This paper argues that a focus on the human capital needs of the bottom third of the workforce is the most effective way to boost productivity, while at the same time creating a more equitable labour market. Given the unmet demand for adult learning on the part of the disadvantaged, he proposes a scheme for paid training leave funded through Employment Insurance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 151 Slater Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, ON K1P 5H3|
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serge Coulombe & Jean-François Tremblay, 2004. "Literacy, Human Capital and Growth," Working Papers 0407E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Morissette, Rene & Picot, Garnett, 2005. "Low-paid Work and Economically Vulnerable Families over the Last Two Decades," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005248e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Rene Morissette & Anick Johnson, 2005. "Are good jobs disappearing in Canada?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aug, pages 23-56.
- Ronald Schettkat, 2002. "Regulation in the Dutch and German Economies at the Root of Unemployment?," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2002-05, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Johnson, Anick & Morissette, Rene, 2005. "Are Good Jobs Disappearing in Canada?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005239e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kapsalis, Constantine, 1997. "Employee Training: An International Perspective," MPRA Paper 25754, University Library of Munich, Germany.