Capital Adequacy Rules and the Risk-Seeking Behavior of Banks: A Firm-Level Analysis
Economic theory is unclear on the effects of capital regulation on the risk-seeking behavior of banks. This paper attempts to shed light on the issue by examining the impact of the implementation of the guidelines of the 1988 Basle Capital Accord on a large sample of individual banks drawn from the signatory countries. The empirical methodology is based on the call option interpretation of firm equity stemming from BLACK/SCHOLES. The results provide little evidence that the implementation of the Basle guidelines increased the probability of bank failure.
Volume (Year): 132 (1996)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven R. Renadier & Brian J. Hall, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Riskiness of Bank Portfolios: Credit and Factor Risks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1718, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Steven R. Grenadier & Brian J. Hall, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Riskiness of Bank Portfolios: Credit and Factor Risks," NBER Working Papers 5178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1987. "Bank capital regulation and asset risk," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 20-40.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1988. "Changes in bank risk," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:1996-iv-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.