Of Intellectual Property, Open Source and Innovation: Trends, and Some Opportunities for Italy
This paper offers some reflections on the institutions for the governance of knowledge as an economic asset, and its management in firms. It then relies on a research based on a survey of a large number of patents (PatVal-EU) to discuss specific features of the invention system in Italy. The paper ends by suggesting that Italy is an interesting position to launch new policies that balance intellectual property rights and open source. It also flags the possibility of an Inventor Compensation Act like in Germany, which can motivate employees to launch new ideas and raise the Italian innovation rate.
Volume (Year): 98 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe Adam B. & Lerner Josh, 2006.
"Innovation and Its Discontents,"
Capitalism and Society,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-36, December.
- Arora, Ashish & Fosfuri, Andrea & Gambardella, Alfonso, 2001. "Specialized technology suppliers, international spillovers and investment: evidence from the chemical industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 31-54, June.
- Allen, Jeffrey W., 1998. "Capital markets and corporate structure: the equity carve-outs of Thermo Electron," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 99-124, April.
- Lerner, Josh & Tirole, Jean, 2002. "Some Simple Economics of Open," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 197-234, June.
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Harhoff, Dietmar & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "The Value of European Patents," CEPR Discussion Papers 6848, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kortum, Samuel & Lerner, Josh, 1999. "What is behind the recent surge in patenting?1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Hoisl, Karin, 2007.
"Institutionalized incentives for ingenuity--Patent value and the German Employees' Inventions Act,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1143-1162, October.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Hoisl, Karin, 2006. "Institutionalized Incentives for Ingenuity – Patent Value and the German Employees’ Inventions Act," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 1262, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:98:y:2008:i:2:p:57-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.