A Model for Determining Consumption and Social Assistance Demand in Uncertainty Conditions
This article focuses on the relation between demographic impact and social insurance and consists of two distinct yet closely related sections. The first section introduces a three overlapping generation model which tries to determine the ageing effects on the individual consumption and saving decisions in a partial equilibrium approach. The second section, instead, aims at providing a theory on the need to set up an ad hoc non self-sufficiency fund. It is shown that this mandatory and universal social insurance can guarantee a relatively higher ex-post individual welfare level when the individual fails to get insured and makes his decisions in uncertainty conditions, that is, reacting to risks in an imperfect way through the setting up of a precautionary saving fund.
Volume (Year): 95 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 (November-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:att:wimass:9722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 1999.
"Consumption Over the Life Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
7271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orazio Attanasio & James Banks & Costas Meghir & Guglielmo Weber, 1995.
"Humps and bumps in lifetime consumption,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Davies, James B, 1981. "Uncertain Lifetime, Consumption, and Dissaving in Retirement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 561-77, June.
- Leibenstein, Harvey, 1974. "An Interpretation of the Economic Theory of Fertility: Promising Path or Blind Alley?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 457-79, June.
- Cagetti, Marco, 2003. "Wealth Accumulation over the Life Cycle and Precautionary Savings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 339-53, July.
- Levhari, David & Mirman, Leonard J, 1977. "Savings and Consumption with an Uncertain Horizon," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 265-81, April.
- Monacelli Daniela, 1998. "Per una riforma dello stato sociale: le politiche di assistenza," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 97-154.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:95:y:2005:i:6:p:167-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.