The Implications of Insurance for the Efficacy of Fiscal Policy
Various tax policies provide consumers with forms of insurance. Social security has the payoff characteristics of an annuity. Income tax provides consumers with a degree of income insurance because the government shares part of the individual’s income risk. Redistributive taxes can be used to spread aggregate income risks across different generations. The effects of these and other tax policies are shown to depend crucially on the nature of existing private insurance arrangements.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (215) 898-7616
Fax: (215) 573-8084
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~rlwctr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Louis Kuo Chi, 1983. "Uncertainty and the neutrality of government financing policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 351-372.
- Miles S. Kimball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1988.
"Precautionary Saving and the Timing of Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
2680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Avia Spivak, 1979.
"The Family as an Incomplete Annuities Market,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
151, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981.
"The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-32, August.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Kenneth L. Judd, 1985. "Social Security and Individual Welfare: Precautionary Saving, LiquidityConstraints, and the Payroll Tax," NBER Working Papers 1736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Varian, Hal R., 1988.
"Intergenerational risk sharing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 185-202, November.
- Barsky, Robert B & Mankiw, N Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P, 1986.
"Ricardian Consumers with Keynesian Propensities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 676-91, September.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1986.
"Aggregate Savings in the Presence of Private and Social Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
1873, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Abel, . "Aggregate Savings in the Presence of Private and Social Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 23-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1981.
"Uncertainty and Optimal Social Security Systems,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 189-206, May.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Eichenbaum, Martin S & Peled, Dan, 1985. "The Distribution of Wealth and Welfare in the Presence of Incomplete Annuity Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 789-806, August.
- Davies, James B, 1981. "Uncertain Lifetime, Consumption, and Dissaving in Retirement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 561-77, June.
- Karni, Edi & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1986. "Welfare and comparative statics implications of fair social security : A steady-state analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 341-357, August.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985.
"Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
1664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1986. "Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1079-97, September.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1985. "Precautionary Saving and Accidental Bequests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 777-91, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:pennfi:06-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.