Capital Constraints and the Credit Structure of Commercial Banks: Evidence from China
This study focuses on the impact of capital constraints on the credit structure of commercial banks. Through theoretical modeling and optimization process, this study draws the conclusions that large-sized banks would grant more loans to large-sized enterprises and fewer loans to small-sized enterprises under capital constraints, but small-sized banks would grant more loans to large-sized enterprises just under the liberalization of interest rates and capital constraints. This study also makes empirical tests using the 2002-2012 yearly panel data from commercial banks in China and panel estimations with SYS-GMM to examine the changes in the credit structures of commercial banks under capital constraints. The evidence from China indicate that the estimated impact of capital constraints on the change i
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Hancock, Diana & Laing, Andrew J. & Wilcox, James A., 1995. "Bank capital shocks: Dynamic effects on securities, loans, and capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 661-677, June.
- Li Ma & Junxun Dai & Xian Huang, 2011. "Effect of capital constraints on risk preference behavior of commercial banks," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 168-186, April.
- Keeley, Michael C. & Furlong, Frederick T., 1990. "A reexamination of mean-variance analysis of bank capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 69-84, March.
- Mark Carlson & Hui Shan & Missaka Warusawitharana, 2011.
"Capital ratios and bank lending: a matched bank approach,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carlson, Mark & Shan, Hui & Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2013. "Capital ratios and bank lending: A matched bank approach," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 663-687.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2010.
"Credit supply: identifying balance-sheet channels with loan applications and granted loans,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
1030, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Ongena, Steven & Peydró, José-Luis & Saurina, Jesús, 2010. "Credit supply - Identifying balance-sheet channels with loan applications and granted loans," Working Paper Series 1179, European Central Bank.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Ongena, Steven & Peydró, José Luis & Saurina, Jesús, 2010. "Credit Supply: Identifying Balance-Sheet Channels with Loan Applications and Granted Loans," CEPR Discussion Papers 7655, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2013:i:4:p:109-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.