Can VAR Be Predictive for Regulation? Evidence from the Futures Industry in Taiwan
Financial authorities are monitoring the financial industries by their own capital to ensure that financial industries have sufficient equity capital to absorb a variety of financial business risks. The current method applied for regulating the capital adequancies of futures commission merchants (FCMs) in Taiwan is Adjusted Net Capital (ANC) ratio, which is also applied in the U.S. In this study, we add the Valueat- Risk (VaR) estimated by GJR-GARCH model and the delta-gamma approach to the calculation of ANC (VaR-based ANC), to compare it with ANC, and further to investigate the ability of prediction on VaR. The sample period is from 2006 through 2007, totally 495 trading days . We conclude that VaR-based ANC ratio in certain intervals ratio have better warning ability of prediction than ANC. Moreover, for the FCMs whose capital adequancies are more volatile and the FCMs with higher capital adequancies, the warning effects of inclusion of VaR into ANC ratio is even more significant.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Berkowitz & James O'Brien, 2002. "How Accurate Are Value-at-Risk Models at Commercial Banks?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1093-1111, 06.
- Darryll Hendricks, 1996. "Evaluation of value-at-risk models using historical data," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 39-69.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2006. "Does the Basle Capital Accord reduce bank fragility? An assessment of the value-at-risk approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1631-1660, October.
- Cuoco, Domenico & Liu, Hong, 2006. "An analysis of VaR-based capital requirements," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 362-394, July.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A. D. & Persand, G., 2000. "A word of caution on calculating market-based minimum capital risk requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1557-1574, October.
- Johnston, Mark, 2009. "Extending the Basel II approach to estimate capital requirements for equity investments," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1177-1185, June.
- Blum, Jurg, 1999. "Do capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 755-771, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2012:i:4:p:147-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.