Technical Efficiency And Its Determinants In Backward Agriculture: The Case Of Paddy Farmers Of Hailakandi District Of Assam
The study measures farm level technical efficiency among paddy farmers of Hailakandi district of Assam on the basis of farm level primary data of 265 cultivators for the peak cropping season of 2009-10. A translog stochastic production frontier is estimated and selected non-input factors are modeled to explain variations in technical inefficiency across cultivators. Age, education levels and proportion of land leased in and HYV cultivation have positive influences on farm level technical efficiency. However indebtedness and percentage of self consumption of farm produce have negative influences. Government support through agricultural extension services is found insignificant. Mean technical efficiency is found to be around 69 percent. Finally the study observes decreasing returns to scale and a negative association between farm size and technical efficiency.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.jrdp.in
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1997. "Estimation Of Technical Efficiency In Swedish Crop Farms: A Pseudo Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 22-37.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Schmidt, Peter & Lin, Tsai-Fen, 1984. "Simple tests of alternative specifications in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 349-361, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jrdpin:0013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rajarshi Majumder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.