New Directions in European Regional Policy and their Implications for Spain
This paper focuses on the new architecture of Cohesion Policy andthe new European financial framework within which it is set. The discussion is dividedinto five sections. Section one examines the structure of the new European FinancialFramework, highlighting its impact on financial transfers between Europeand Spain. In section two the new architecture of Cohesion Policy is explained,pointing out the relationships with related agriculture and fisheries policies and endingwith an assessment of the principal features of the new Cohesion policy architecture.Section three examines the financial resources behind Cohesion Policy andtheir distribution in Spain. In section four the discussion shifts to a consideration ofthe concepts of convergence and the nature of regions. Finally the conclusion suggeststhat there are significant administrative, financial and strategic planning implicationsof the new financial framework and remodelled Cohesion policy: for economicdevelopment in general and for regional development in particular over thecoming years.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gillian Bristow, 2005. "Everyone's a 'winner': problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 285-304, June.
- Michael Porter, 2003. "The Economic Performance of Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 549-578.
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Ray Hudson, 2007. "Regions and Regional Uneven Development Forever? Some Reflective Comments upon Theory and Practice," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1149-1160.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1996. "Making Sense of the Competitiveness Debate," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 17-25, Autumn.
- Luis Moreno, 2002. "Decentralization in Spain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 399-408.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2002. "The effects of integration on regional disparities: Convergence, divergence or both?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 539-567, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo Ortíz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.