Inflation targeting: dead or alive?
The present paper investigates how the global financial crisis has prompted the need to revise monetary policy in general and inflation targeting in particular, with the final purpose of establishing whether the crisis has rendered inflation targeting obsolete or has only strengthened its position as the central banking orthodoxy of our days. Departing from an outline of inflation targeting fundamentals and a brief history of monetary policy, the paper explores the merits of and criticism on inflation targeting from a theoretical as well as practical perspective. Finally, conclusions are drawn upon the analysis and prospects for the future, including proposed successors of inflation targeting, are briefly explored.
Volume (Year): 3 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.distribution-magazine.eu|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 161-193.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992. "Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993. "Relative-price changes as aggregate supply shocks," Working Papers 93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, G.H., 1992. "Relative-Price Change as Aggregate Supply Shocks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1609, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Patrick A. Imam & Eleonara Granziera & Norbert Funke, 2008. "Terms of Trade Shocks and Economic Recovery," IMF Working Papers 08/36, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdc:journl:v:3:y:2012:i:3:p:41-49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodor Valentin Purcarea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.