European Union Enlargement and Agri-Food Trade Specialisation
The paper analyses the evolution of similarity between EU 15 agri-food exports and those of the new member States (Nms) and Turkey to the EU market. The main goal is to highlight, with the help of similarity indicators that take into account the structural, absolute value and quality differences between the export flows, whether EU enlargement can lead to toughe competitiveness on the European markets, or whether, rather, flows will prove increasingly specialised. The main finding is that the similarity in agri-food exports between the EU 15 member States and the Nms is quite low, although it tends to grow at a fast pace. With regard to Italy, the structure of agri-food trade seems to be more complementary than competitive with that of the Nms and Turkey. The similarity is explained by a reduced number of flows; moreover, if one takes into account the different quality of products, it decreases further, i.e. most export flows address different, non-competitive market segments.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- De Nardis Sergio & Traù Fabrizio, 1999. "Specializzazione settoriale e qualità dei prodotti: misure della pressione competitiva dell'industria italiana," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 177-212.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005.
"Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
568, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(4), pages 629-658, October.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2003. "Economic integration, similarity and convergence in the EU and CEECs trade structures," KITeS Working Papers 148, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2003.
- Zaghini, Andrea, 2003. "Trade advantages and specialisation dynamics in acceding countries," Working Paper Series 0249, European Central Bank.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2005. "Similarity in export composition and catching-up," Working Papers 28-2005, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Oct 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.