The economists "Manifesto" unemployment in the EU seven years later: which suggestions still hold?
I met Franco Modigliani in 1948. We had common interests in three fields of economic theory--Keynes and unemployment, the relations between monetary and real phenomena and market forms and price formation. We had in common also the love for empirical verification and, on another plane, civil commitment. Intellectually we met on the question of price formation and variations in oligopoly, which can be considered as the most common market form in modern economies. Modigliani embodied the formula expressing price formation and variations under oligopoly in two econometric model, the former worked out in the United States, the other in Italy. The paper discusses similarities and differences between our views on these matters. Recently Modigliani promoted a "Manifesto on Unemployment in the European Union", written by six economists, including myself. In it an important role is plaid by the investment, function, conceived by Modigliani and by myself in different though complementary ways ad by the model of price variations, viewed from the point of view of inflation.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 233-234 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Hein & Thorsten Schulten & Achim Truger, 2004.
"Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe,"
- Truger, Achim & Schulten, Thorsten & Hein, Eckhard, 2004. "Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe," WSI Discussion Papers 124, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Surico, Paolo, 2003.
"How does the ECB target inflation?,"
Working Paper Series
0229, European Central Bank.
- Beniamino Moro, 2002. "Una politica fiscale regionale per lo sviluppo economico del Mezzogiorno," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(3), pages 395-442, May-June.
- Modigliani, Franco & Fitoussi, Jean-Paul & Moro, Beniamino & Snower, Dennis J. & Solow, Robert M. & Steinherr, Alfred & Sylos Labini, Stefano, 1998.
"An economists' manifesto on unemployment in the European Union,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
1776, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- F. Modigliani & J.-P. Fitoussi & B. Moro & D. Snower & R. Solow & A. Steinherr & P. Sylos Labini, 1998. "An economists' Manifesto on unemployment in the European Union," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(206), pages 327-361.
- F. Modigliani & J.-P. Fitoussi & B. Moro & D. Snower & R. Solow & A. Steinherr & P. Sylos Labini, 1998. "An economists' Manifesto on unemployment in the European Union," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(206), pages 327-361.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2003.
"What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1058-1086, 09.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Scholarly Articles 3415322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2002. "What measure of inflation should a central bank target?," Working Paper Series 0170, European Central Bank.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1984, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," NBER Working Papers 9375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:2005:26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.