The economists "Manifesto" unemployment in the EU seven years later: which suggestions still hold?
I met Franco Modigliani in 1948. We had common interests in three fields of economic theory--Keynes and unemployment, the relations between monetary and real phenomena and market forms and price formation. We had in common also the love for empirical verification and, on another plane, civil commitment. Intellectually we met on the question of price formation and variations in oligopoly, which can be considered as the most common market form in modern economies. Modigliani embodied the formula expressing price formation and variations under oligopoly in two econometric model, the former worked out in the United States, the other in Italy. The paper discusses similarities and differences between our views on these matters. Recently Modigliani promoted a "Manifesto on Unemployment in the European Union", written by six economists, including myself. In it an important role is plaid by the investment, function, conceived by Modigliani and by myself in different though complementary ways ad by the model of price variations, viewed from the point of view of inflation.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 233-234 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Hein & Thorsten Schulten & Achim Truger, 2004.
"Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe,"
- Truger, Achim & Schulten, Thorsten & Hein, Eckhard, 2004. "Wage trends and deflation risks in Germany and Europe," WSI Working Papers 124, The Institute of Economic and Social Research (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Foundation.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1058-1086, 09.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," NBER Working Papers 9375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2003. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Scholarly Articles 3415322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo, 2002. "What measure of inflation should a central bank target?," Working Paper Series 0170, European Central Bank.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis, 2002. "What Measure of Inflation Should a Central Bank Target?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1984, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Franco Modigliani & Jean Paul Fitoussi & Beniamino Moro & Denis Snower & Robert Solo & Alfred Steinherr & Paolo Sylos Labini, 1999. "An Economist’s Manifesto on Unemployment in the European Union," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 8(2), pages 1-1, December.
- F. Modigliani & J.-P. Fitoussi & B. Moro & D. Snower & R. Solow & A. Steinherr & P. Sylos Labini, 1998. "An economists' Manifesto on unemployment in the European Union," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(206), pages 327-361.
- F. Modigliani & J.-P. Fitoussi & B. Moro & D. Snower & R. Solow & A. Steinherr & P. Sylos Labini, 1998. "An economists' Manifesto on unemployment in the European Union," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(206), pages 327-361.
- Modigliani, Franco & Fitoussi, Jean-Paul & Moro, Beniamino & Snower, Dennis J. & Solow, Robert M. & Steinherr, Alfred & Sylos Labini, Stefano, 1998. "An economists' manifesto on unemployment in the European Union," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1776, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Beniamino Moro, 2002. "Una politica fiscale regionale per lo sviluppo economico del Mezzogiorno," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(3), pages 395-442, May-June.
- Surico, Paolo, 2003. "How does the ECB target inflation?," Working Paper Series 0229, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlaqr:2005:26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.