Impact of Complementarity and Heterogeneity on Health Related Utility of Life
This study aims at identifying determinants of health related quality of life in Poland, and in particular at verifying whether health domains are complements or substitutes and what the impact of heterogeneity of population on the health state valuation is. The paper uses data in panel structure coming from a survey conducted in Poland and consisting of 6700 valuations (after data cleaning) of EQ-5D health states with time trade-off method. Several econometric models are built in order to detect the impact of complementarity and heterogeneity. Random effects models as well as random parameters models estimated using Bayesian approach are used. The results show that health domains are complementary goods. Especially the lack of pain/discomfort is a complement to other health domains. Demographic factors influence how health state change impacts utility. These factors encompass sex, education, respondent's health state and even belief in life after death.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brazier, John & Ratcliffe, Julie & Salomon, Joshua & Tsuchiya, Aki, 2016.
"Measuring and Valuing Health Benefits for Economic Evaluation,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780198725923, April.
- Brazier, John & Ratcliffe, Julie & Salomon, Joshua A. & Tsuchiya, Aki, 2007. "Measuring and Valuing Health Benefits for Economic Evaluation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198569824, April.
- Aki Tsuchiya & Shunya Ikeda & Naoki Ikegami & Shuzo Nishimura & Ikuro Sakai & Takashi Fukuda & Chisato Hamashima & Akinori Hisashige & Makoto Tamura, 2002. "Estimating an EQ-5D population value set: the case of Japan," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 341-353.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Wakker, Peter & Johannesson, Magnus, 1997. "Characterizing QALYs by Risk Neutrality," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 107-114, November.
- Dolan, Paul & Stalmeier, Peep, 2003. "The validity of time trade-off values in calculating QALYs: constant proportional time trade-off versus the proportional heuristic," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 445-458, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:1:y:2009:i:2:p:139-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.