Dopady změn daně z přidané hodnoty na reálné příjmy domácností
[The Impact of VAT Changes on the Households´ Real Incomes]
The article evaluates the distributional impacts of the value added tax changes in the Czech Republic using the Household Budget Survey, a representative sample of approximately 3000 households. It evaluates the impacts on the living standards both for the VAT reform that was actually approved in 2011, as well as for alternative reform proposals that were discussed during 2011 and that also considered a reduction in payroll tax rates. The estimates refl ect the recent empirical fi ndings about the incidence of consumption and payroll taxes. Unifying the VAT at a single tax rate has an almost proportional impact on the households from the 2nd to impact 10th income decile while having a disproportionately larger impact on the poorest decile. A reduction in the payroll tax would have reduced the progressivity of the tax system across the entire income range.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bingley, Paul & Lanot, Gauthier, 2002. "The incidence of income tax on wages and labour supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 173-194, February.
- Kevin Lang, 2003.
"The Effect of the Payroll Tax on Earnings: A Test of Competing Models of Wage Determination,"
NBER Working Papers
9537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Lang, 2004. "The Effect of the Payroll Tax on Earnings: A Test of Competing Models of Wage Determination," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 360, Econometric Society.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1983.
"Payroll Taxes and Wage Inflation: The Swedish Experiences,"
Working Paper Series
68, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1983. " Payroll Taxes and Wage Inflation: The Swedish Experience," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(1), pages 1-15.
- Sam Peltzman, 2000.
"Prices Rise Faster than They Fall,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 466-502, June.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998. "Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Poterba, James M., 1996. "Retail Price Reactions to Changes in State and Local Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 165-76, June.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1980. "Factor Market Dynamics and the Incidence of Taxes and Subsidies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(4), pages 751-764.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Rosen, Harvey S., 1999.
"Sales Taxes and Prices: An Empirical Analysis,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 157-78, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2012:y:2012:i:3:id:844:p:309-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.