An analysis of the Portuguese venture capital market: partial exits versus total exits
This article analyzes Portuguese venture capital exits, exploring the relationship between the type of exit and the asymmetry of information of the venture capital investments. The central hypothesis being tested is that the occurrence of partial exits is associated with signalling the investment quality and with the reduction of the degree of informational asymmetry. The data resulted from a study elaborated by Small Business Investment, SA and Price WaterHouse Coopers, for the Associação Portuguesa de Capital de Risco e de Desenvolvimento (APCRI), by way of questionnaire sent to the resident Portuguese venture capital companies. We used Logit models in which the dependent variable is a dummy indicating if a partial exit occurred and the independent variables are all dummies referring to investment and divestment characteristics. We conclude that when the exit occurs through IPO, this increases the probability of a partial exit occurring and that the longer the duration, the smaller is the probability of a partial exit. Both results support the hypothesis that the higher the degree of informational asymmetry, the higher the probability of a partial exit.
Volume (Year): XIV (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBOA|
Phone: +351-213 925 800
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://www.iseg.ulisboa.pt/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cumming, Douglas J. & MacIntosh, Jeffrey G., 2003. "A cross-country comparison of full and partial venture capital exits," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 511-548, March.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Muscarella, Chris J. & Peavy, John III & Vetsuypens, Michael R., 1990. "The role of venture capital in the creation of public companies*1: Evidence from the going-public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 447-471, October.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Bruno Biais & Catherine Casamatta, 1999. "Optimal Leverage and Aggregate Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1291-1323, 08.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1998.
"Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 703-735, August.
- Ulrich Hege & Dirk Bergemann, 1998. "Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning," Post-Print hal-00481696, HAL.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1997. "Venture Capital Financing, Moral Hazard and Learning," CEPR Discussion Papers 1738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Brav, Alon & Gompers, Paul A, 1997. " Myth or Reality? The Long-Run Underperformance of Initial Public Offerings: Evidence from Venture and Nonventure Capital-Backed Companies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1791-1821, December.
- Wang, Susheng & Zhou, Hailan, 2004. "Staged financing in venture capital: moral hazard and risks," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 131-155, January.
- Noe, Thomas H & Rebello, Michael J, 1996. " Asymmetric Information, Managerial Opportunism, Financing, and Payout Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 637-60, June.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2003. "Learning and Syndication in Venture Capital Investments," CEPR Discussion Papers 3867, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lerner, Joshua, 1998. "Comment on Bergemann and Hege," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 736-740, August.
- Lerner, Joshua, 1994. "Venture capitalists and the decision to go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 293-316, June.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Trester, Jeffrey J., 1998. "Venture capital contracting under asymmetric information," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 675-699, August.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Rick H. Mull, 1994. "Venture Capital, Private Firms, and the Capital Acquisition Process," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 3(3), pages 229-248 , Fall.
- Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele* & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Philippe Desbrières & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 2000.
"Venture capitalists, investment appraisal and accounting information: a comparative study of the USA, UK, France, Belgium and Holland,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(3), pages 389-403.
- Philippe Desbrières & Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 1999. "Venture capitalists, investment appraisal and accounting information: a comparative study of the US, UK, France, Belgium and Holland," Working Papers CREGO 0991102, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Anat R. Admati & Motty Perry, 1991. "Joint Projects without Commitment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 259-276.
- Travis Bradford & Roy C. Smith, 1997. "Private Equity: Sources And Uses," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 10(1), pages 89-97.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pjm:journl:v:xiv:y:2009:i:3:p:239-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luís Mota de Castro, Tiago Cardão-Pito, Mark Crathorne)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.