Predicting Money Multiplier in Pakistan
The paper has developed time-series models for the monthly money multiplier and its components, viz., currency-deposit ratio, reserve-deposit ratio, etc. A comparison is made between the predictive performance of the aggregate multiplier and the component models. It is found that the projected values of the multiplier on the basis of the aggregate model are closer to actual values as compared to those worked out on the basis of the component models. Thus, for the purposes of projecting the money multiplier, it may be preferable to focus on the aggregate money multiplier model. Stability tests, applied to the identified models for each component and the overall multiplier, suggest that all the models are stable.
Volume (Year): 39 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. W. Hafer & Scott E. Hein, 1983.
"Predicting the money multiplier: forecasts from component and aggregate models,"
1983-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hafer, R. W. & Hein, Scott E., 1984. "Predicting the money multiplier : Forecasts from component and aggregate models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 375-384, November.
- Johannes, James M. & Rasche, Robert H., 1979. "Predicting the money multiplier," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 301-325, July.
- Michele Fratianni & Mustapha Nabli, 1979. "Money stock control in the EEC countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 115(3), pages 401-424, September.
- S.M. Mazahir Hasnain Hamdani, 1976. "Money Multiplier As a Determinant of Money Supply: The Case of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 15(2), pages 211-217.
- Buttler, H. -J. & Gorgerat, J. -F. & Schiltknecht, H. & Schiltknecht, K., 1979. "A multiplier model for controlling the money stock," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:39:y:2000:i:1:p:23-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.