Some Theoretical Aspects of Base Control
This paper focuses on the implications of using the monetary base or bank reserves as an instrument to control a monetary aggregate. Following analysis of a series of theoretical models of increasing complexity, it is concluded that in a system with either institutional or structural lags base control may entail very sharp and possibly undamped oscillations of short-term interest rates. The shorter the time period over which the authorities choose to bring the monetary aggregate back to its target, the more volatile will be the movements of interest rates. Furthermore, there is an asymmetry in the U.S. institutional structure such that rigid implementation of the base control system will under certain circumstances lead to a decline in short-term interest rates to very low levels. The final section of the paper is devoted to the examination of the Canadian institutional structure emphasizing the differences between the U.S. and Canadian systems.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1981|
|Publication status:||published as Freedman, Charles. "Some Theoretical Aspects of Base Control." The Canadian Balance of Payments: Perspectives and Policy Issues, edited by Douglas Purvis. Institute for Research on Public Policy Montreal Canada, (1983).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiller, Robert J, 1979. "The Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates and Expectations Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1190-1219, December.
- W. R. White, 1979. "Alternative Monetary Targets and Control Instruments in Canada: Criteria for Choice," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(4), pages 590604-5906, November.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James E. Pesando, 1980.
"On Expectations, Term Premiums and the Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
0595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesando, James E., 1983. "On expectations, term premiums and the volatility of long-term interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 467-474, September.
- Holbrook, Robert S, 1972. "Optimal Economic Policy and the Problem of Instrument Instability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 57-65, March.
- Charles Freedman, 1981. "Monetary Aggregates as Targets: Some Theoretical Aspects," NBER Working Papers 0775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buttler, H. -J. & Gorgerat, J. -F. & Schiltknecht, H. & Schiltknecht, K., 1979. "A multiplier model for controlling the money stock," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341, July.
- Johannes, James M. & Rasche, Robert H., 1979. "Predicting the money multiplier," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 301-325, July.
- William R. White & Stephen S. Poloz, 1980. "Monetary Policy and Chartered Bank Demand Functions for Excess Cash Reserves," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 189205-1892, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Lombra, Raymond & Struble, Frederick, 1979. "Monetary Aggregate Targets and the Volatility of Interest Rates: A Taxonomic Discussion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 284-300, August.
- J. F. Dingle & G. R. Sparks & M. A. Walker, 1972. "Monetary Policy and the Adjustment of Chartered Bank Assets," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 5(4), pages 494514-4945, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0650. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.