Factors Influencing the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange Performance (2002-2007)
This paper assesses the factors that influenced the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange’s performance from 2002 to 2007. The study seeks to identify and define the major drivers of the bourse during this period and use them to guide an investor on the ZSE or any other stock exchange in a developing economy. Despite the shrinking of the economy since 2000, the stock market inversely reacted to the factors that affected the economy negatively. The ZSE was driven mainly by speculation as investors sought to hedge against hyperinflation. The decline of the Zimbabwe economy during that period caused capital flight to the stock market pushing prices up hence huge profits. The real factors that affect share investment and the stock market in general were addressed, giving insight to the stock investors. The study recommends that stock investors should keep track of the general and unique factors that have an impact on their investments.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David W, Jr, 1983. "The Impact of Initiating Dividend Payments on Shareholders' Wealth," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Seyhun, H. Nejat, 1986. "Insiders' profits, costs of trading, and market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-212, June.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1990. "The Noise Trader Approach to Finance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 19-33, Spring.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Allen, Helen, 1992. "The use of technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 304-314, June.
- Wong, Michael Chak-sham & Cheung, Yan-Leung, 1999. "The practice of investment management in Hong Kong: market forecasting and stock selection," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 451-465, August.
- Tony Caporale & Chulho Jung, 1997. "Inflation and real stock prices," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 265-266.
- Titman, Sheridan & Warga, Arthur, 1989. "Stock Returns as Predictors of Interest Rates and Inflation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 47-58, March.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pet:annals:v:9:i:2:y:2009:p:161-172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Imola Driga)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.