The Race to the Bottom and its Impact on the Provision of Public Services in Romania
The literature is addressed by tax competition to attract capital and the measures taken in this regard. These measures aim, in most cases, reducing tax rates. Most authors, especially the classics, believes that this reduction creates an underprovision of goods and services and addresses the problem in terms of their level. Very few scholars have revealed that this race to the bottom lead to a different structure in delivering public services. Thus, from the idea of Keen-Marchand (1997), this paper addresses this issue, using as basic data in the Romanian economy, through a regression model. The analysis results show that the race to reduce the tax burden, in which Romania joined in the impact of tax competition, leads to an underprovision welfare services aimed directly at a taxpayer and those aimed at infrastructure overprovision.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keen, M. & Marchand, M., "undated".
"Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1284, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keen, Michael & Marchand, Maurice, 1997. "Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-53, October.
- KEEN, Michael & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1996. "Fiscal Competition and the Pattern of Public Spending," CORE Discussion Papers 1996001, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(2), pages 269-304, June.
- Wilson, John D., 1986. "A theory of interregional tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 296-315, May.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:52:y:1999:i:n._2:p:269-304 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pet:annals:v:11:y:2011:i:1:p:261-266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Imola Driga)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.