Predicting Firm Failure: A Behavioral Finance Perspective
In this article we first argue that researchers in the area of financial distress and failure cannot ignore the human/managerial/decision-making side of the business and just focus on the business' operations side; as has been the case so far for almost all the research in the area. We then discuss how psychological phenomena and principles, known as heuristics or mental shortcuts, could be utilized in building more powerful success/failure prediction models especially for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs).
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu CA|
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Daniel Kahneman & Dan Lovallo, 1993. "Timid Choices and Bold Forecasts: A Cognitive Perspective on Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(1), pages 17-31, January.
- S. Balcaen & H. Ooghe, 2004. "35 years of studies on business failure: an overview of the classical statistical methodologiesand their related problems," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/248, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Zhang, Guoqiang & Y. Hu, Michael & Eddy Patuwo, B. & C. Indro, Daniel, 1999. "Artificial neural networks in bankruptcy prediction: General framework and cross-validation analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 16-32, July.
- Varetto, Franco, 1998. "Genetic algorithms applications in the analysis of insolvency risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1421-1439, October.
- Charles L. Merwin, 1942. "Financing Small Corporations in Five Manufacturing Industries, 1926-36," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number merw42-1, April.
- Dimitras, A. I. & Slowinski, R. & Susmaga, R. & Zopounidis, C., 1999. "Business failure prediction using rough sets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 263-280, April.
- Minniti, Maria & Lévesque, Moren, 2008. "Recent developments in the economics of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 603-612, November.
- Edmister, Robert O., 1972. "An Empirical Test of Financial Ratio Analysis for Small Business Failure Prediction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1477-1493, March.
- Altman, Edward I. & Haldeman, Robert G. & Narayanan, P., 1977. "ZETATM analysis A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Kallberg, Jarl G. & Udell, Gregory F., 2003. "The value of private sector business credit information sharing: The US case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 449-469, March.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Slovic, Paul, 1972. "Psychological Study of Human Judgment: Implications for Investment Decision-Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(4), pages 779-799, September.
- Meyer, Paul A & Pifer, Howard W, 1970. "Prediction of Bank Failures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 853-868, September.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Woo, Carolyn Y. & Dunkelberg, William C., 1988. "Entrepreneurs' perceived chances for success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 97-108.
- Adli Abouzeedan & Michael Busler, 2004. "Typology Analysis of Performance Models of Small and Medium-Size Enterprises (SMEs)," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 2(1_2), pages 155-177, 03.
- Harlan Platt & Marjorie Platt, 2002. "Predicting corporate financial distress: Reflections on choice-based sample bias," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 26(2), pages 184-199, June.
- Dan Lovallo & Colin Camerer, 1999. "Overconfidence and Excess Entry: An Experimental Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 306-318, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:14:y:2010:i:3:p:90-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.