The Effect Of Vertical Integration In The Quality Of Disposable Products
This paper studies a single-product distribution channel where a manufacturer produces goods, some of which are defective, and a retailer, detecting only a subset of the defective goods, passes the rest along to customers, who end up discarding them. Conjecturing the structure of the demand and cost functions that assume customers to have a decreasing marginal aversion to bad quality while both the supplier and the retailer make marginally increasing efforts to avoid bad quality, we deduce several implicit parameters, including quality cost, based on observable data, such as the share of the channel margin. Once all the parameters of the model are available, we analyze the result of vertical integration. We not only confirm the well-known fact that vertical integration improves the quality perceived by the customer, but also characterize the attitude of the supplier, who may or may not provide a better service, in terms of the sum and the difference of logarithms of the margins.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eacc10.puc.cl/RePEc/pch/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wei Shi Lim, 2001. "Producer-Supplier Contracts with Incomplete Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 709-715, May.
- Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep Chintagunta & Naufel Vilcassim, 2000. "Manufacturer-Retailer Channel Interactions and Implications for Channel Power: An Empirical Investigation of Pricing in a Local Market," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(2), pages 127-148, September.
- Reyniers, Diane J. & Tapiero, Charles S., 1995. "Contract design and the control of quality in a conflictual environment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 373-382, April.
- Wilfred Amaldoss & Robert J. Meyer & Jagmohan S. Raju & Amnon Rapoport, 2000. "Collaborating to Compete," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(2), pages 105-126, November.
- Voros, Jozsef, 2002. "Product balancing under conditions of quality inflation, cost pressures and growth strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 153-166, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pch:abante:v:4:y:2001:i:2:p:133-155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.