Cattle Feeder Perceptions of Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting
Mandatory livestock price reporting was designed to increase available price information with the intent of facilitating price discovery. Has the program been effective? This study determines how cattle feeders, a primary target of the program, feel about mandatory price reporting (MPR) effectiveness. Results from a survey of cattle feeders reveal a diversity of opinion. Producers tend to be neutral to slightly negative regarding the value of MPR. Some of the dissatisfaction appears to have been associated with unrealistic expectations. Most feedlot characteristics have little systematic relationship to the manager's perceptions regarding usefulness of MPR. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheryl J. Wachenheim & Eric A. DeVuyst, 2001. "Strategic response to mandatory reporting legislation in the U.S. livestock and meat industries: Are collusive opportunities enhanced?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 177-195.
- Albaek, Svend & Mollgaard, Peter & Overgaard, Per B, 1997.
"Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 429-443, December.
- Svend Albæk & Peter Møllgaard & Per Baltzer Overgaard, 1997. "Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case," CIE Discussion Papers 1997-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Fuller, Stephen W. & Ruppel, Fred J. & Bessler, David A., 1990. "Effect Of Contract Disclosure On Price: Railroad Grain Contracting In The Plains," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Bastian, Christopher T. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Menkhaus, Dale J., 2001. "Will Mandatory Price Reporting Improve Pricing And Production Efficiency In An Experimental Market For Fed Cattle?," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18969, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Keimig, R. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Kim, Han & Santos, Joseph M., 2003. "Mandatory Versus Voluntary Price Reporting: An Empirical Investigation Of The Market Transparency Controversy," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35139, Southern Agricultural Economics Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)