Quantifying the Cyclicality of Regulatory Capital – First Evidence from Austria
With the financial crisis spreading to the real economy, the discussion about potential procyclical implications of Basel II received a surge of attention. While existing research approaches the topic either from a theoretical perspective or from an empirical perspective that draws on simulated data, we are first in studying the cyclicality of risk weights on the basis of realized data. Furthermore, we are able to differentiate not only between Basel I and Basel II, but also between the Standardized Approach (StA) and the internal ratings-based (IRB) approach. We argue that without knowledge of these approaches’ presumably distinct cyclicality of risk weights, any measure to dampen procyclicality is premature. For this purpose, we first study which banks opt for implementation of the IRB approach and then set up a panel model to quantify the cyclicality of capital requirements. While we find no evidence of cyclicality in portfolios subject to the Basel II StA, we find economically substantial and statistically significant effects in IRB portfolios.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 3126
Fax: +43/1/404 20 3199
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2005.
"Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks’ choice of loan rating system,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(3), pages 537-557, October.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2002. "Procyclicality and the New Basel Accord: banks' choice of loan rating system," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Dimitrios Tsomocos & Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord–banks’ choice of loan rating system," FMG Discussion Papers dp464, Financial Markets Group.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks' choice of loan rating system," Bank of England working papers 181, Bank of England.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P.Tsomocos, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - Banks' choice of loan rating system," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Catarineu-Rabell, Eva & Jackson, Patricia & Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord–banks’ choice of loan rating system," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24863, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Roger Aliaga-Diaz, 2005. "General Equilibrium Implications of the Capital Adequacy Regulation for Banks," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 238, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2011.
"Bank size and risk-taking under Basel II,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1436-1449, June.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2005. "Bank Size and Risk-Taking under Basel II," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 05-07, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2005. "Bank Size and Risk-Taking under Basel II," Discussion Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2005_6, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2005. "Bank size and risk-taking under Basel II," Papers 05-07, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2006. "Bank Size and Risk-Taking under Basel II," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 88, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbfs:y:2009:i:18:b:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefan W. Schmitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.