Corporate Risk Management And Value Creation
This paper explores relationship between risk management activity and company's value. The main purpose of this paper is to get a deeper insight into the research problem, as well as to reach better comprehension of a relationship between risk management and value creation at the corporate level. The paper is aiming to (1) explain the clash between theory and practice by presenting benefits of risk management; (2) present results of empirical research on corporate risk management rationales in large non-financial Croatian companies; (3) explore how risk management can influence company's value and its drivers. The literature survey has shown that risk management can enhance company's value by decreasing costs related to financial difficulties, agency cost of debt, taxes, and costs of external financing. The evidence based on the multivariate empirical relations between the decision to hedge in Croatian non-financial companies and financial distress costs, agency costs, costly external financing, and taxes supports tested hypotheses related to the investment expenditures to assets ratio and total debt to assets ratio. Therefore, it can be concluded that companies that are more leveraged and have more investment opportunities have more incentives to manage corporate risk. By using Risk adjusted value approach, paper has shown that efficient risk management can influence company value drivers and positively affect overall enterprise value.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stulz, René M., 1984. "Optimal Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 127-140, June.
- Christopher L. Gulp & Dean Furbush & Barbara T. Kavanagh, 1994. "Structured Debt And Corporate Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(3), pages 73-85.
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Merton H. Miller, 1989.
"The Modigliani-Miller Propositions After Thirty Years,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 2(1), pages 6-18.
- Miller, Merton H, 1988. "The Modigliani-Miller Propositions after Thirty Years," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 99-120, Fall.
- Gerald D. Gay & Jouahn Nam, 1998. "The Underinvestment Problem and Corporate Derivatives Use," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(4), Winter.
- Bartram, S.M., 2000. "Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation," Papers 00-58, Southern California - School of Business Administration.
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2001. "Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation," Finance 0108002, EconWPA, revised 10 Aug 2001.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- G. David Haushalter, 2000. "Financing Policy, Basis Risk, and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 107-152, 02.
- John Lintner, 1965. "Security Prices, Risk, And Maximal Gains From Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 587-615, December.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- DeMarzo, Peter M & Duffie, Darrell, 1995. "Corporate Incentives for Hedging and Hedge Accounting," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 743-771.
- Tufano, Peter, 1996. " Who Manages Risk? An Empirical Examination of Risk Management Practices in the Gold Mining Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1137, September.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-592, July.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-1354, September.
- Mayers, David & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1982. "On the Corporate Demand for Insurance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 281-296, April.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994. "A Framework For Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(3), pages 22-33.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-284, March.
- Haushalter, G. David & Heron, Randall A. & Lie, Erik, 2002. "Price uncertainty and corporate value," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 271-286, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mje:mjejnl:v:9:y:2013:i:2:p:17-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nikola Draskovic Jelcic)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.