Relationship between Macroeconomic Variables and KSE-100 Index: Evidence from Pakistan
The present study aim to investigate the relationship of macroeconomic variables on stock returns in Pakistan. The study used monthly data from January 2001 to December 2010. For data analysis different econometrics model were used such as auto regressive distributed lag (ARDL), augmented dickey fuller (ADF), vector error correction model (VECM) are used. The study found that there is short as well as long run relationship exists between macroeconomic variables and stock returns. Money supply, exchange rate, and consumer price index have significant long run relationship with stock prices, while oil prices have no significance relations with stock returns. In short run money supply and exchange has positive significant relation with stock returns, while consumer price index and oil prices have no significant relation with stock returns.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Splaiul Unirii nr. 176, sector 4, Bucuresti|
Web page: http://fbc.ucdc.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amihud, Yakov, 1996. "Unexpected Inflation and Stock Returns Revisited--Evidence from Israel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 22-33, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- repec:pid:journl:v:40:y:2001:i:2:p:107-114 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Nai-fu, 1983. " Some Empirical Tests of the Theory of Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1393-1414, December.
- Burmeister, Edwin & McElroy, Marjorie B, 1988. " Joint Estimation of Factor Sensitivities and Risk Premia for the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 721-33, July.
- Beenstock, Michael & Chan, Kam-Fai, 1988. "Economic Forces in the London Stock Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(1), pages 27-39, February.
- Hsain, Fazal & Mahmood, Tariq, 2001.
"The Stock Market and the Economy in Pakistan,"
2721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:khe:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:4:p:101-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adi Sava)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.