Relationship between Macroeconomic Variables and KSE-100 Index: Evidence from Pakistan
The present study aim to investigate the relationship of macroeconomic variables on stock returns in Pakistan. The study used monthly data from January 2001 to December 2010. For data analysis different econometrics model were used such as auto regressive distributed lag (ARDL), augmented dickey fuller (ADF), vector error correction model (VECM) are used. The study found that there is short as well as long run relationship exists between macroeconomic variables and stock returns. Money supply, exchange rate, and consumer price index have significant long run relationship with stock prices, while oil prices have no significance relations with stock returns. In short run money supply and exchange has positive significant relation with stock returns, while consumer price index and oil prices have no significant relation with stock returns.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fbc.ucdc.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Nai-fu, 1983. " Some Empirical Tests of the Theory of Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1393-1414, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Fazal Husain & Tariq Mahmood, 2001.
"The Stock Market and the Economy in Pakistan,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 107-114.
- Amihud, Yakov, 1996. "Unexpected Inflation and Stock Returns Revisited--Evidence from Israel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 22-33, February.
- Burmeister, Edwin & McElroy, Marjorie B, 1988. " Joint Estimation of Factor Sensitivities and Risk Premia for the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 721-33, July.
- Beenstock, Michael & Chan, Kam-Fai, 1988. "Economic Forces in the London Stock Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(1), pages 27-39, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:khe:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:4:p:101-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adi Sava)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.