Structure and Profitability in Banking Markets
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Working papers 1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998.
"The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994. "The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Claycombe, Richard J., 2000. "The effects of market structure on prices of clothing and household furnishings," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 827-841, July.
- Barla, Philippe, 2000. "Firm size inequality and market power," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 693-722, July.
- Timothy H. Hannan, 1989. "Foundations of the structure-conduct-performance paradigm," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 83, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Steven Pilloff, 1999. "Does the Presence of Big Banks Influence Competition in Local Markets?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 15(3), pages 159-177, May.
- Corwin D. Edwards, 1955. "Conglomerate Bigness as a Source of Power," NBER Chapters,in: Business Concentration and Price Policy, pages 331-359 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Stephen Rhoades, 2000. "Retail Commercial Banking: An Update on a Period of Extraordinary Change," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(4), pages 357-366, June.
- Prager, Robin A & Hannan, Timothy H, 1998. "Do Substantial Horizontal Mergers Generate Significant Price Effects? Evidence from the Banking Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 433-452, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven J. Pilloff, 2002. "What's happened at divested bank offices? An empirical analysis of antitrust divestitures in bank mergers," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-60, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elizabeth Laderman, 2003. "Good news on Twelfth District banking market concentration," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct24.
- Steven J. Pilloff, 2004. "Bank merger activity in the United States, 1994-2003," Staff Studies 176, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:eee:ecofin:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:531-545 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ming-Hua Liu & Dimitris Margaritis & Zhuo Qiao, 2016. "The Global Financial Crisis and Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through in Australia," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 19(04), pages 1-32, December.
- Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2016. "Synergy or downward competition? Interactions between small credit institutions in local markets," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(C), pages 66-74.
- Erik Heitfield & Robin A. Prager, 2002. "The geographic scope of retail deposit markets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nat Pope & Yu-Luen Ma, 2008. "The Market Structure-Performance Relationship in the International Insurance Sector," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(4), pages 947-966.
- Yonjil Jeon & Stephen M. Miller, 2005. "Bank Performance: Market Power or Efficient Structure?," Working papers 2005-23, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Hannan, Timothy H. & Prager, Robin A., 2004.
"The competitive implications of multimarket bank branching,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1889-1914, August.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Robin A. Prager, 2001. "The competitive implications of multimarket bank branching," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-43, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Agostino, Mariarosaria & Gagliardi, Francesca & Trivieri, Francesco, 2010. "Credit market structure and bank screening: An indirect test on Italian data," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 151-160, October.
- Zou, YongDong & Miller, Stephen M. & Malamud, Bernard, 2011.
"Geographic deregulation and commercial bank performance in U.S. state banking markets,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 28-35, February.
- YongDong Zou & Stephen M. Miller & Bernard Malamud, 2008. "Geographic Deregulation and Commerical Bank Performance in US State Banking Markets," Working Papers 0802, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- YongDong Zou & Stephen M. Miller & Bernard Malamud, 2008. "Geographic Deregulation and Commercial Bank Performance in US State Banking Markets," Working papers 2008-25, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Tuncay Çelik & Muhittin Kaplan, 2016. "Testing the Structure-Conduct-Performance Paradigm for the Turkish Banking Sector: 2008-2013," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 6(4), pages 1625-1631.
- Liu, Ming-Hua & Margaritis, Dimitris & Tourani-Rad, Alireza, 2011. "Asymmetric information and price competition in small business lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2189-2196, September.
- Ali, Abdelrahman Elzahi Saaid, 2016. "Poverty Alleviation through Microfinance in North-East Kenya Province," Working Papers 2016-9, The Islamic Research and Teaching Institute (IRTI).
- Kondo, Kazumine, 2014. "Do Credit Associations Compete with Each Other in Japanese Regional Lending Markets?," MPRA Paper 56669, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coccorese, Paolo & Pellecchia, Alfonso, 2013. "Multimarket contact, competition and pricing in banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 187-214.
- Kondo, Kazumine, 2014. "Cross-Prefecture Expansion of Regional Banks in Japan and Its Effects on Lending-Based Income," MPRA Paper 52978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ashraf, Dawood & Ramady, Mohamed & Albinali, Khalid, 2016. "Financial fragility of banks, ownership structure and income diversification: Empirical evidence from the GCC region," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 56-68.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2009. "Market power in local banking monopolies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1196-1210, July.
More about this item
KeywordsAntitrust; banking; competition; market structure;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:revind:v:20:y:2002:i:1:p:81-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.