Production costs and deregulation
Unlike some of the existing literature, our discussion implies that either (1) regulation lowers production costs and makes the gains to deregulation relatively small or (2) regulation increases production costs and makes the social and political gains to deregulation relatively greater. While some may not find alternative (1) credible, one thing is clear: claiming that the deregulatory gains are small because regulation increases costs is not an alternative society faces. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1989
Volume (Year): 61 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/public+finance/journal/11127/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cherkes, Martin & Friedman, Joseph & Spivak, Avia, 1986. "The Disinterest in Deregulation: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 559-563, June.
- Lott, John R, Jr, 1987. "Licensing and Nontransferable Rents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 453-455, June.
- Moore, Thomas Gale, 1986. "U.S. Airline Deregulation: Its Effects on Passengers, Capital, and Labor," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 1-28, April.
- Jarrell, Gregg A, 1984. "Change at the Exchange: The Causes and Effects of Deregulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 273-312, October.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Marilyn R. Flowers, 1987. "Rent Seeking and Rent Dissipation: A Critical View," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 7(2), pages 431-440, Fall.
- McCormick, Robert E & Shughart, William F, II & Tollison, Robert D, 1984. "The Disinterest in Deregulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1075-1079, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:61:y:1989:i:2:p:183-186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.