Exogenous changes and policy reforms, labor migration, and welfare in a Keynesian economy
This paper examines the potential interaction between international labor migration, exogenous changes or policy reforms, and pre-existing distortions, such as generalized excess supply due to price-wage rigidities. Within this Keynesian income-expenditure context, it is suggested that (i) when international labor migration exists, the traditional Keynesian conclusions regarding the welfare effects of exogenous distortions, i.e., increase in exports need to be modified, and (ii) in the presence of price-wage rigidities, regardless of whether or not labor is internationally mobile, a policy reforming the country's tariff-subsidy structure may not be welfare improving. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrik, Dani, 1987. "Trade and capital-account liberalization in a keynesian economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 113-129, August.
- Lloyd, P. J., 1974. "A more general theory of price distortions in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 365-386, November.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou, 1991. "International Migration and Remittances in a Two-country Temporary Equilibrium Model," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 49-62, May.
- Hatta, Tatsuo & Fukushima, Takashi, 1979. "The welfare effect of tariff rate reductions in a many country world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 503-511, November.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1986. "Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-112, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:4:y:1993:i:1:p:27-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.