Joining the European Monetary Union—Comparing First and Second Generation Open Economy Models
We log-linearise the Dellas and Tavlas (DT) model of monetary union and solve it analytically. We find that the intuition of optimal currency area analysis of DT’s second generation open economy model is essentially the same as that of first generation models. Monetary union results in no welfare loss if its member states are symmetric. However, asymmetry causes loss in welfare both due to the failure of the union policy to deal suitably with a country’s asymmetric shocks and due to an active monetary policy by the union in pursuit of its distinct objectives. The asymmetry in DT is largely due to the differing wage rigidities across countries. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris Dellas & George Tavlas, 2005.
"Wage Rigidity and Monetary Union,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 907-927, October.
- Dellas, Harris & Tavlas, George, 2003. "Wage Rigidity and Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 3679, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harris Dellas & George Tavlas, 2004. "Wage Rigidity and Monetary Union," Working Papers 12, Bank of Greece.
- Harris Dellas & George Tavlas, 2002. "Wage Rigidity and Monetary Union," Diskussionsschriften dp0219, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Patrick Minford & Eric Nowell & Bruce Webb, 2003. "Nominal Contracting and Monetary Targets -- Drifting into Indexation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 65-100, January.
- Patrick Minford & David Meenagh & Bruce Webb, 2004. "Britain and EMU: Assessing the Costs in Macroeconomic Variability," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 301-358, 03.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Cumby, Robert E. & Diba, Behzad T., 2005.
"The need for international policy coordination: what's old, what's new, what's yet to come?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 363-384, July.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2002. "The Need for International Policy Coordination: What's Old, What's New, What's Yet to Come?," NBER Working Papers 8765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Minford, Patrick, 1995. "Other people's money: Cash-in-advance microfoundations for optimal currency areas," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 427-440, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:17:y:2006:i:3:p:281-296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.