Planar Location and Design of a New Facility with Inner and Outer Competition: An Interval Lexicographical-like Solution Procedure
A chain has to decide the location and design for a single new facility in a region where a set of facilities already exists offering the same type of product. Some of the existing facilities belong to the chain and the others are competitors. Since competition comes from outside the chain, the maximization of the profit is the main objective of the chain’s owner. Customers are supposed to patronize all the facilities, the old and the new, proportionally to the attraction they feel for them. The entrance of the new facility may thus also have a detrimental effect on the market shares of the existing chain-owned facilities, and this cannibalization should be minimized as a secondary objective. This problem is formulated as a biobjective optimization problem, and a variant of the lexicographic method is proposed to generate certain efficient solutions. This requires solving two related optimization problems, both neither convex nor concave, for which a unified interval branch and bound method is developed. Computational experiments on randomly generated problems show the feasibility of the approach, while an application of the model with real data demonstrates its use for economical analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Rosa Colomé, 1998. "Consumer choice in competitive location models: Formulations and heuristics," Economics Working Papers 290, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Plastria, Frank, 1992. "GBSSS: The generalized big square small square method for planar single-facility location," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 163-174, October.
- Wendell, R. E. & McKelvey, R. D., 1981. "New perspectives in competitive location theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 174-182, February.
- Plastria, Frank, 2001. "Static competitive facility location: An overview of optimisation approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(3), pages 461-470, March.
- KILKENNY, Maureen & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Economics of location: A selective survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1435, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:7:y:2007:i:1:p:19-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.