Planar Location and Design of a New Facility with Inner and Outer Competition: An Interval Lexicographical-like Solution Procedure
A chain has to decide the location and design for a single new facility in a region where a set of facilities already exists offering the same type of product. Some of the existing facilities belong to the chain and the others are competitors. Since competition comes from outside the chain, the maximization of the profit is the main objective of the chain’s owner. Customers are supposed to patronize all the facilities, the old and the new, proportionally to the attraction they feel for them. The entrance of the new facility may thus also have a detrimental effect on the market shares of the existing chain-owned facilities, and this cannibalization should be minimized as a secondary objective. This problem is formulated as a biobjective optimization problem, and a variant of the lexicographic method is proposed to generate certain efficient solutions. This requires solving two related optimization problems, both neither convex nor concave, for which a unified interval branch and bound method is developed. Computational experiments on randomly generated problems show the feasibility of the approach, while an application of the model with real data demonstrates its use for economical analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11067/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendell, R. E. & McKelvey, R. D., 1981. "New perspectives in competitive location theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 174-182, February.
- Plastria, Frank, 1992. "GBSSS: The generalized big square small square method for planar single-facility location," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 163-174, October.
- Plastria, Frank, 2001. "Static competitive facility location: An overview of optimisation approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(3), pages 461-470, March.
- Daniel Serra & Rosa Colomé, 1998. "Consumer choice in competitive location models: Formulations and heuristics," Economics Working Papers 290, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1435 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:7:y:2007:i:1:p:19-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.