Dynamic Revenue Management of a Toll Road Project under Transportation Demand Uncertainty
This study proposes a prototype quantitative method for dynamic revenue management of a private toll road, taking into account the long-term dynamics of transportation demand. This is first formulated as a stochastic singular control problem, in which the manager can choose the toll level from two discrete values. Each toll change requires nonnegative adjustment costs. Our analysis then reveals that the optimality condition reduces to standard linear complementarity problems, by using certain function transformation techniques. This enables us to develop an efficient algorithm for solving the problem, exploiting the recent advances in the theory of complementarity problems. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11067/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Hai & Hai-Jun, Huang, 1997. "Analysis of the time-varying pricing of a bottleneck with elastic demand using optimal control theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 425-440, November.
- Arnott Richard & Kraus Marvin, 1995.
"Financing Capacity in the Bottleneck Model,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 272-290, November.
- Richard Arnott & Marvin Kraus, 1993. "Financing Capacity On The Bottleneck Model," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 222, Boston College Department of Economics.
- de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 2002. "Private roads, competition, and incentives to adopt time-based congestion tolling," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 217-241, September.
- Sunil Kumar & Kumar Muthuraman, 2004. "A Numerical Method for Solving Singular Stochastic Control Problems," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 563-582, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)