Boom–Bust Cycles and the Forecasting Performance of Linear and Non-Linear Models of House Prices
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bessec Marie & Bouabdallah Othman, 2005.
"What Causes The Forecasting Failure of Markov-Switching Models? A Monte Carlo Study,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, pages 1-24.
- Marie Bessec & Othman Bouabdallah, 2005. "What causes the forecasting failure of Markov-Switching models? A Monte Carlo study," Econometrics 0503018, EconWPA.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Brunner, Allan D. & Hess, Gregory D., 1995. "Potential problems in estimating bilinear time-series models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 663-681, May.
- Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 1997. "Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1701-1727, November.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-137, March.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," NBER Working Papers 2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Hodrick, Robert J, 1990. "On Testing for Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 85-101, Spring.
- Anglin, Paul M & Rutherford, Ronald & Springer, Thomas M, 2003. "The Trade-Off Between the Selling Price of Residential Properties and Time-on-the-Market: The Impact of Price Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Gillen, Kevin & Thibodeau, Thomas & Wachter, Susan, 2001. "Anisotropic Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 5-30, July.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 2003. "Is There a Bubble in the Housing Market?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 299-362.
- Hansen Bruce E., 1997.
"Inference in TAR Models,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, April.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "THRESHTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's Test for Threshold Break," Statistical Software Components RTS00210, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "The Role of the List Price in Housing Markets: Theory and an Econometric Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 115-129, April-Jun.
- John R. Knight, 2002. "Listing Price, Time on Market, and Ultimate Selling Price: Causes and Effects of Listing Price Changes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 213-237.
- Barot, Bharat & Takala, Kari, 1998. "House prices and inflation : a cointegration analysis for Finland and Sweden," Research Discussion Papers 12/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Norman Miller & Liang Peng, 2006. "Exploring Metropolitan Housing Price Volatility," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 5-18, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zietz, Joachim & Traian, Anca, 2014. "When was the U.S. housing downturn predictable? A comparison of univariate forecasting methods," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 271-281.
- repec:ipg:wpaper:2014-585 is not listed on IDEAS
- MeiChi Huang & LinYing Yeh, 2015. "Should the Fed take extra action for the recent housing bubble? Evidence from asymmetric transitory shocks," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 39(4), pages 762-781, October.
- Christophe Andre & Rangan Gupta & John W. Muteba Mwamba, 2016. "Are Housing Price Cycles Asymmetric? Evidence from the US States and Metropolitan Areas," Working Papers 201635, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- repec:spr:empeco:v:52:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s00181-016-1101-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bracke, Philippe, 2013.
"How long do housing cycles last? A duration analysis for 19 OECD countries,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 213-230.
- Philippe Bracke, 2011. "How Long Do Housing Cycles Last? a Duration Analysis for 19 OECD Countries," IMF Working Papers 11/231, International Monetary Fund.
- Mahua Barari & Nityananda Sarkar & Srikanta Kundu & Kushal Banik Chowdhury, 2014. "Forecasting House Prices in the United States with Multiple Structural Breaks," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, vol. 6(1), pages 1-23, April.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Payne, James E., 2012. "Comovements among U.S. state housing prices: Evidence from fractional cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 936-942.
- Nissan, Edward & Payne, James E., 2013. "A Simple Test of Ïƒ-Convergence in U.S. Housing Prices across BEA Regions," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 43(2).
More about this item
KeywordsBubbles; Forecasting models; Generalized autoregressive model; Nonlinear techniques;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:36:y:2008:i:3:p:249-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .