A Quantitative Approach to Evaluate the Relative Efficiency of Museums
Data Envelopment Analysis is used for evaluating the technical efficiency of museum institutions. This approach enables us to create for each museum a relative efficiency measure, which takes into account both the resources used by museums and the results of their activities. Moreover this technique is able to overcome some of the difficulties found when applying more traditional indicators of productivity in evaluating the technical efficiency of cultural institutions. An empirical analysis carried out on data from Italian municipal museums illustrates this application of the operational research model. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2002.
"On the Origins of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 23-40, January.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- François Mairesse & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 2002.
"Museum Assessment and FDH Technology: Towards a Global Approach,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 261-286, November.
- François Mairesse & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 2002. "Museum assessment and FDH technology: Towards a global approach," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/166509, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- MAIRESSE, François & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, . "Museum assessment and FDH technology: towards a global approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1565, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:28:y:2004:i:3:p:195-216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.