A Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Thailand Taxpayer Survey
We investigate whether more resources should be devoted to a Thai tax enforcement program which is aimed at bringing small businesses into the tax system. We show that the appropriate criteria for determining whether more resources should be devoted to tax enforcement is whether the Atkinson–Stern condition for the optimal provision of a publicly-provided good is satisfied, or equivalently, whether the marginal cost of finds obtained through additional tax enforcement, SMCF p, is less than the marginal cost of funds obtained through raising tax rates, SMCF t. In our base case scenario, the SMCF p is 11.60 which exceeds our estimate of the SMCF t for an across-the-board increase in income tax rates on wage earners. The use of pro-poor distributional weights makes expanding the survey less attractive if the alternative way of obtaining additional tax revenue is an across-the-board income tax rate increase, while aversion to tax evasion makes it more attractive. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Goode, 1981. "Some Economic Aspects of Tax Administration (Quelques aspects Ã©conomiques de l'administration fiscale) (Algunos aspectos econÃ³micos de la administraciÃ³n de impuestos)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(2), pages 249-274, June.
- Ballard, Charles L, 1988. "The Marginal Efficiency Cost of Redistribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1019-33, December.
- Fortin, Bernard & Truchon, Michel & Beausejour, Louis, 1993.
"On reforming the welfare system : Workfare meets the negative income tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 119-151, June.
- Fortin, B. & Truchon, M., 1990. "On Reforming the Welfare System: Workfare Meets the Negative Income Tax," Cahiers de recherche 9016, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Snow, Arthur & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1996. "The marginal welfare cost of public funds: Theory and estimates," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 289-305, August.
- Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1987.
" The Optimal Size of a Tax Collection Agency,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 183-92.
- Vito Tanzi & Parthasrathi Shome, 1993. "A Primeron Tax Evasion," IMF Working Papers 93/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1990.
"Optimal taxation with costly enforcement and evasion,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 221-236, November.
- Louis Kaplow, 1989. "Optimal Taxation with Costly Enforcement and Evasion," NBER Working Papers 2996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stern, N H, 1974. "Pigou, Taxation and Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 119-28, January.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1992.
"Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 117-131, Summer.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1993. "Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods," NBER Working Papers 3506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Vakneen, Yitzhak, 1989. "On the Shadow Price of a Tax Inspector," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 44(3), pages 492-505.
- Dahlby, Bev, 1998. "Progressive taxation and the social marginal cost of public funds," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 105-122, January.
- Hansson, Ingemar & Stuart, Charles, 1985. "Tax revenue and the marginal cost of public funds in Sweden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 331-353, August.
- Mayshar, Joram, 1991. "On Measuring the Marginal Cost of Funds Analytically," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1329-35, December.
- Toma, Eugenia Froedge & Toma, Mark, 1992. "Tax Collection with Agency Costs: Private Contracting or Government Bureaucrats?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 107-20, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:7:y:2000:i:1:p:63-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.