Reimbursing for the costs of teaching and research in finnish hospitals: A stochastic frontier analysis
In this study stochastic frontier cost function was used to estimate the teaching and research costs of Finnish hospitals. Predicted efficiency adjusted costs were calculated and compared to evaluate the current level of teaching and research reimbursement. The efficiency adjustment had significant impact on the marginal and average cost estimates of the teaching and research output. The results suggest that the average rate of teaching and research reimbursement should be approximately 14.6% of the total operating costs in university teaching hospitals. The main finding was that the university teaching hospitals were underfunded with respect to both research and teaching output. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholson, Sean & Song, David, 2001. "The incentive effects of the Medicare indirect medical education policy," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 909-933, November.
- Rogowski, Jeannette A. & Newhouse, Joseph P., 1992. "Estimating the indirect costs of teaching," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 153-171, August.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Feldman, Roger D. & Steinwald, A. Bruce, 1983. "Effects of teaching on hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Guillem López-Casasnovas & Marc Saez, 1999. "The impact of teaching status on average costs in Spanish hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 641-651.
- Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Eero Linnakko, 1998. "An econometric study of costs of teaching and research in Finnish hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 291-305.
- Dalton, Kathleen & Norton, Edward C., 2000. "Revisiting Rogowski and Newhouse on the indirect costs of teaching: a note on functional form and retransformation in Medicare's payment formulas," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1027-1046, November.
- Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Magnussen, Jon & Piro, Fredrik Niclas, 2009. "Hva betyr forskning, utdanning og reisetid for sykehusenes kostnader?," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2002:18, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ijhcfe:v:6:y:2006:i:1:p:83-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.