Tax Deductions for Losses and Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets
This paper examines how tax deductions related to uninsured personal losses may be Pareto-improving if there are inefficiencies in insurance markets in the context of adverse selection by including individuals with different risk types. In the absence of moral hazard, we provide a positive view of loss deduction policies by showing that they more easily reach a separating equilibrium than does the free market in the Rothschild and Stiglitz equilibrium concept. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2010
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Suite 650, International Tower, 229 Peachtree Street, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://www.iaes.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11293/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Briys, Eric & Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 1989.
"More on Insurance as a Giffen Good,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 415-20, December.
- Briys, E. & Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1988. "More on Insurance As a Giffen Good," Cahiers de recherche 8813, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Briys, E. & Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1988. "More On Insurance As A Giffen Good," Cahiers de recherche 8813, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1992. "Income Tax Deductions for Losses as Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1013-1017, September.
- Hoy, Michael & Robson, Arthur J., 1981. "Insurance as a Giffen good," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-51.
- Spence, Michael, 1978. "Product differentiation and performance in insurance markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 427-447, December.
- Wilson, Charles, 1977. "A model of insurance markets with incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 167-207, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:38:y:2010:i:1:p:51-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.