Structural Analysis of U.S. Appraiser Income
This study represents the first investigation of appraiser income at the national level. It is especially timely because it addresses the value of Appraisal Institute designations in a post-FIRREA world, in addition to investigating the impact of gender on appraiser income. The study employs a worker-productivity, human-capital model and finds that appraiser income is positively and significantly impacted by the amount of work effort expended, the level of appraisal experience, and the formal education and professional training attained by an appraiser. Appraisal Institute designations are found to have a significant and positive impact on income, even in a post-FIRREA world of required appraiser licensing and certification. Gender does not appear to impact appraiser income. However, questions do arise regarding the status of female (and minority) appraisers.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/Email:
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Willis & Sherwin Rosen, 1978.
"Education and Self-Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
0249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry A. Diskin & Dean H. Gatzlaff, 1994. "An Examination of the Earnings of Real Estate Appraisers," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(4), pages 507-524.
- Glenn E. Crellin & James R. Frew & G. Donald Jud, 1988. "The Earnings of REALTORS: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(2), pages 69-78.
- Jacques Gordon & Paige MosbaughTodd Canter & Todd Canter, 1996. "Integrating Regional Economic Indicators with the Real Estate Cycle," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 469-501.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Michael Glower & Patric H. Hendershott, 1988. "The Determinants of REALTOR Income," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(2), pages 53-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:18:n:1:1999:p:377-393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.