Discrimination, Lending Practices and Housing Values: Preliminary Evidence from the Houston Market
At the center of the debate on racially induced price differentials in housing is the issue of discrimination. This research studies the impact that ethnic as well as racial composition in a neighborhood exerts on value. In an attempt to extend previous efforts, aggregate data is used to study the effects of discrimination and lending bias on residential real estate in Houston, Texas. The data do not support allegations of systematic bias in the mortgage lending process.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian D. Kluger & Norman G. Miller, 1990. "Measuring Residential Real Estate Liquidity," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 145-159.
- Michael H. Schill & Susan M. Wachter, . "A Tale of Two Cities: Racial and Ethnic Geographic Disparities in Home Mortgage Lending in Boston and Philadelphia," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 16-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- James S. Moore, 1987. "An Investigation of the Major Influences of Residential Liquidity: A Multivariate Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(1), pages 684-703.
- John Yinger, 1978. "The Black-White Price Differential in Housing: Some Further Evidence," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(2), pages 187-206.
- Lapham, Victoria, 1971. "Do Blacks Pay More for Housing?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 1244-57, Nov.-Dec..
- Daniels, Charles B., 1975. "The influence of racial segregation on housing prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 105-122, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:11:n:1:1996:p:25-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.