Mortgage Lenders' Market Response to a Landmark Regulatory Decision Based on Fair Lending Compliance
Regulation of real estate lending has substantially increased in the past decade. Government efforts to improve compliance with Community Reinvestment Act mandates are evidence of increased emphasis on racial equal opportunity in loan origination. To investigate the impact of these efforts, this paper examines the Federal Reserve Bank rejection of Shawmut National Corporation's application to buy New Dartmouth Bank. Rejection was based on Shawmut's poor compliance with fair-lending guidelines. Testing finds significant negative abnormal stock returns for samples of mortgage lenders on the announcement day of Shawmut's application rejection. In addition, cross-sectional analysis reveals an inverse relationship between national banks' cumulative abnormal returns (CARs) and a measure of fair lending.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aharony, Joseph & Saunders, Anthony & Swary, Itzhak, 1988. "The effects of DIDMCA on bank stockholders' returns and risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 317-331, September.
- Eisenbeis, Robert A & Harris, Robert S & Lakonishok, Josef, 1984. " Benefits of Bank Diversification: The Evidence from Shareholder Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 881-92, July.
- Billingsley, Randall S. & Lamy, Robert E., 1992. "Regional reciprocal interstate banking: The Supreme Court and the resolution of uncertainty," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 665-686, August.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Millon Cornett, Marcia & De, Sankar, 1991. "Common stock returns in corporate takeover bids: Evidence from interstate bank mergers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 273-295, April.
- James, Christopher M & Wier, Peggy, 1987. "Returns to Acquirers and Competition in the Acquisition Market: The Case of Banking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 355-70, April.
- Madura, Jeff & Tucker, Alan L. & Zarruk, Emilio R., 1993. "Market reaction to the thrift bailout," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 591-608, June.
- Cooper, Kerry & Kolari, James & Wagster, John, 1991. "A note on the stock market effects of the adoption of risk-based capital requirements on international banks in different countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 367-381, April.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1995. "Neighborhoods and banking," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 13-38.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:11:n:1:1996:p:57-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.