Notes on Unit Value Index Bias
It is often the case that the value of a number of somewhat similar units (e. g., automobiles of a certain general type) is divided by the number of units in order to form a unit value price and these unit value prices are compared over two periods in order to form a unit value price index. This unit value price index or Drobisch price index can then be compared with other standard index number formulae and the bias in the index can be determined. The present paper presents most of the known results on this bias (and derives some new ones) in a coherent framework using a simple identity from the statistics literature. A related question first considered by Párniczky (1974) is also considered: does disaggregation of a unit value into more homogeneous subgroups reduce the unit value bias? The answer seems to be: probably yes.
Volume (Year): 230 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timmer, Marcel P., 1996. "On the Reliability of Unit Value Ratios in International Comparisons," GGDC Research Memorandum 199631, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Mick Silver, 2009. "An Index Number Formula Problem; The Aggregation of Broadly Comparable items," IMF Working Papers 09/19, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:dgr:rugggd:199631 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mick Silver, 2010. "The Wrongs And Rights Of Unit Value Indices," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages 206-223, 06.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Axiomatic and Economic Approaches to Elementary Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:230:y:2010:i:6:p:690-708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.