Zum Abriß des Wohnungsleerstands, oder: Schi Ida in ostdeutschen Städten? / On Demolition of Vacant Housing in East Germany: Why and For Whom?
Contemporary observers are unanimous in their interpretation of vacant housing in East Germany. According to these observers, vacant housing is due to East German households’ emigration to better labor markets, as well as to East German households’ desire for higher quality housing. In this paper we argue that vacant housing is also due to a lack of competition on East German housing markets, with high rent and large vacant housing as the obvious results. Rather than pursuing a hugely expensive policy of demolition policy makers should: (i) stop demolition and (ii) privatize housing.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:zbw:iwhwiw:11-01-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, .
"Urban Decline and Durable Housing,"
Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers
382, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1931, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," NBER Working Papers 8598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:zbw:iwhwiw:2-01-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franz, Peter, 2001. "Wohnungsleerstand in Ostdeutschland: differenzierte Betrachtung notwendig," Wirtschaft im Wandel, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH), vol. 7(11), pages 263-267.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:225:y:2005:i:4:p:482-498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.