What Causes Insolvency? A Study Regarding Big And Medium Romanian Enterprises Going Bankrupt In 2013
The failure of a company, whether insolvency or bankruptcy, has been a topic featured by countless researchers from various fields over time. In an attempt to counteract this negative phenomenon most of the studies focused on developing bankruptcy prediction models, omitting the actual reasons that caused the insolvency. In the present article we will try to determine the main reasons causing insolvency among the largest companies in Romania in 2013. In this purpose, we made a Top 10 Romanian companies which became insolvent in 2013 taking into consideration the report published by Euler Hermes in 2014 “Economic Outlook. Insolvency World Cup 2014: Who will score fewer insolvencies?”. Subsequently, we examine “The Report on the causes and circumstances that led to the insolvency of the debtor" for each individual company from the proposed top. After analyzing the reports for all ten companies studied we found that an increasing of indebtedness and debt collection period, with disinvestment and poor management were the main causes that led to the insolvency in 2013 of the Romanian companies studied.
Volume (Year): 6(4) (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cse.uaic.ro|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Ooghe & S. De Prijcker, 2006.
"Failure process and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/388, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ooghe, H. & De Prijcker, S., 2006. "Failure processes and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-21, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- repec:bla:joares:v:4:y:1966:i::p:71-111 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Peter Back, 2005. "Explaining financial difficulties based on previous payment behavior, management background variables and financial ratios," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 839-868.
- Daniel W. Greening, 1996. "Do Managers and Strategies Matter? A Study In Crisis," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 25-51, 01. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jes:wpaper:y:2014:v:6:i:4:p:114-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alupului Ciprian)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.