The Role Of Financial Development On Income Inequality In Malaysia
This study examines the role of financial development in influencing income inequality in Malaysia over the period of 1980-2000. The empirical results based on ARDL bounds test indicate that financial market development is, at best, very weak and statistically insignificant in reducing income inequality in Malaysia. The evidence is valid for a variety of financial indicators, including the banking sector, the stock market and financial aggregate variables. The evidence also highlights that besides various government¡¯s development programs, efforts should also concentrate on improving institutional quality, economic development and maintaining low inflation in its attempt to combat income inequality.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georg R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2006.
"Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 578-596, January.
- George R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2011. "Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?," CEMA Working Papers 489, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Alberto Chong & Mark Gradstein, 2004.
"Inequality and Institutions,"
Research Department Publications
4361, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Sonin, Konstantin, 2003.
"Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 715-731, December.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2003. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," Working Papers w0022, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Konstantin Sonin, 2002. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 544, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2004.
"After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 753-763, June.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies," NBER Working Papers 9282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the emergence of the rule of law in post-communist societies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2934, The World Bank.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006.
"Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_055, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Working Papers 26, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/582, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Meyer Bittencourt, Manoel F., 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2009. "Globalization and financial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 164-169, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:34:y:2009:i:2:p:153-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.