The Role Of Financial Development On Income Inequality In Malaysia
This study examines the role of financial development in influencing income inequality in Malaysia over the period of 1980-2000. The empirical results based on ARDL bounds test indicate that financial market development is, at best, very weak and statistically insignificant in reducing income inequality in Malaysia. The evidence is valid for a variety of financial indicators, including the banking sector, the stock market and financial aggregate variables. The evidence also highlights that besides various government¡¯s development programs, efforts should also concentrate on improving institutional quality, economic development and maintaining low inflation in its attempt to combat income inequality.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto E. Chong & Mark Gradstein, 2004.
"Inequality and Institutions,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
5658, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006.
"Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_055, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/582, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Working Papers 26, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Meyer Bittencourt, Manoel F., 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Georg R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2006.
"Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 578-596, January.
- George R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2011. "Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?," CEMA Working Papers 489, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies,"
NBER Working Papers
9282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2004. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 753-763, June.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the emergence of the rule of law in post-communist societies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2934, The World Bank.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2002.
"Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
544, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sonin, Konstantin, 2003. "Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 715-731, December.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2003. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," Working Papers w0022, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-298, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2009. "Globalization and financial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 164-169, July.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:34:y:2009:i:2:p:153-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sung Y. Park)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.