International R&D Spillovers Through Information Networks
This paper shows that consideration of the role of direct spillovers through information networks is crucial in empirical studies of international R&D spillovers. Data on line penetration rates are used to construct foreign R&D capitals that directly spill over across borders. The conspicuous indirect effects through imports of intermediate goods shown in previous studies diminish considerably when the estimation controls for direct effects. Instead, direct spillovers are strong and significant. In the 1980s, direct effects were stronger than in the 1970s, especially among G7 countries. Indirect effects were insignificant in the 1970s and were significantly negative in the 1980s.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Lichtenberg & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 1996. "International R&D Spillovers: A Re-Examination," NBER Working Papers 5668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edmond, Chris, 2001. "Some Panel Cointegration Models of International R&D Spillovers," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 241-260, April.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- David T. Coe & Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1999. "Are There International R&D Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners? A Response to Keller," IMF Working Papers 99/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Muller, Werner G. & Nettekoven, Michaela, 1999. "A panel data analysis: research and development spillover," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 37-41, July.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:30:y:2005:i:1:p:151-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.