Religious Value Halos: The Effect of a Jewish Orthodox Campus on Residential Property Values
Ten years ago, there was a controversial expansion of an Orthodox Jewish religious campus in the suburb of a large Midwestern US city. This research takes a before and after approach to addressing the effects of this project on residential property values, especially within walking distance of the campus. Separate regression analyses have been run for 1997 and 2006, and the findings indicate that the campus has increased property values and prompted additional building permits. The findings show that the completion of the Jewish Orthodox campus increases residential property values between 17 percent and 20 percent within a quarter mile in the city where the facility is located.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Do, A Quang & Wilbur, Robert W & Short, James L, 1994. "An Empirical Examination of the Externalities of Neighborhood Churches on Housing Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 127-136, September.
- Carroll, Thomas M & Clauretie, Terrence M & Jensen, Jeff, 1996. "Living Next to Godliness: Residential Property Values and Churches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-330, May.
- Basu, Sabyasachi & Thibodeau, Thomas G, 1998. "Analysis of Spatial Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 61-85, July.
- Robin M. Leichenko & N. Edward Coulson & David Listokin, 2001. "Historic Preservation and Residential Property Values: An Analysis of Texas Cities," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 38(11), pages 1973-1987, October.
- Coulson, N Edward & Leichenko, Robin M, 2001. "The Internal and External Impact of Historical Designation on Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 113-124, July.
- Robert A. Simons & Jesse D. Saginor, 2006. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Environmental Contamination and Positive Amenities on Residential Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(1), pages 71-104.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:14:n:03:2011:p:330-353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.