Religious Value Halos: The Effect of a Jewish Orthodox Campus on Residential Property Values
Ten years ago, there was a controversial expansion of an Orthodox Jewish religious campus in the suburb of a large Midwestern US city. This research takes a before and after approach to addressing the effects of this project on residential property values, especially within walking distance of the campus. Separate regression analyses have been run for 1997 and 2006, and the findings indicate that the campus has increased property values and prompted additional building permits. The findings show that the completion of the Jewish Orthodox campus increases residential property values between 17 percent and 20 percent within a quarter mile in the city where the facility is located.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Simons & Jesse D. Saginor, 2006. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Environmental Contamination and Positive Amenities on Residential Real Estate Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(1), pages 71-104.
- Do, A Quang & Wilbur, Robert W & Short, James L, 1994. "An Empirical Examination of the Externalities of Neighborhood Churches on Housing Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 127-36, September.
- Coulson, N Edward & Leichenko, Robin M, 2001. "The Internal and External Impact of Historical Designation on Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 113-24, July.
- Carroll, Thomas M & Clauretie, Terrence M & Jensen, Jeff, 1996. "Living Next to Godliness: Residential Property Values and Churches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-30, May.
- Robin M. Leichenko & N. Edward Coulson & David Listokin, 2001. "Historic Preservation and Residential Property Values: An Analysis of Texas Cities," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 38(11), pages 1973-1987, October.
- Basu, Sabyasachi & Thibodeau, Thomas G, 1998. "Analysis of Spatial Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 61-85, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:14:n:03:2011:p:330-353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.