A Note on Asset Proportions, Stochastic Dominance, and the 50% Rule
In this note we analyze the composition of an optimal portfolio by considering the cumulative conditional expected outcome of two dependent assets. We develop a conditional stochastic dominance relation and show that for any concave von Neumann-Morgenstern utility function, the proportion of wealth invested in the dominant asset will be greater than 50%.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. Fishburn, 1978. "Stochastic Dominance Without Transitive Preferences," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(12), pages 1268-1277, August.
- Josef Hadar & Tae Kun Seo, 1988. "Asset Proportions in Optimal Portfolios," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(3), pages 459-468.
- Paul L. McEntire, 1984. "Portfolio Theory for Independent Assets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(8), pages 952-963, August.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
- Masaaki Kijima & Masamitsu Ohnishi, 1996. "Portfolio Selection Problems Via The Bivariate Characterization Of Stochastic Dominance Relations," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 237-277.
- Masaaki Kijima, 1997. "The Generalized Harmonic Mean And A Portfolio Problem With Dependent Assets," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 71-87, July.
- Landsberger, Michael & Meilijson, Isaac, 1990. "Demand for risky financial assets: A portfolio analysis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 204-213, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:12:p:1724-1727. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.