Cost-Benefit Model System of Chronic Diseases in Australia to Assess and Rank Prevention and Treatment Options
Chronic diseases - eg heart disease, cancer, diabetes, mental disorders - affect around 80% of older Australians, are the main causes of disability and premature death, and account for 70% of total health expenditures. Because lifestyle patterns are major risk factors, chronic disease prevention and treatment are not only of medical concern, but also of considerable social, family-level and personal interest. While this makes microsimulation approaches particularly suitable for assessing intervention costs and benefits, such approaches will need to be combined with disease-progression models if health status and treatment choices are also to be simulated. AIMS: Describe methodological and technical proposals for the development of a cost-benefit model-system. METHODS: Several chronic disease progression models are to be linked to an ‘Umbrella’ microsimulation model representing the Australian population. To project 20 years ahead, use of reweighting techniques are proposed for population projections, disease-specific predictions and for health-related projections. The model-system is to account simultaneously for Australians’ demographic, socioeconomic and health-risk-factor characteristics; progression of their health status; the number of chronic diseases (comorbidities) they accumulate over time; health-related expenditures; and changes in quality of life. Standard methods are proposed to estimate costs versus benefits of simulated policy interventions and related quality of life improvements. KEY OUTCOME: Proposal of novel methods for modelling comorbidities - a task rarely attempted, although quality of life is known to decline and health expenditures to increase well above what a linear addition of the effects of individual chronic diseases would predict.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belton M. Fleisher & Haizheng Li & Shi Li & Xiaojun Wang, 2000.
"Sorting, Selection, and Transformation of the Return to College Education In China,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp756, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Li, Haizheng & Li, Shi & Wang, Xiaojun, 2004. "Sorting, Selection, and Transformation of the Return to College Education in China," IZA Discussion Papers 1446, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chen, Yao & Iqbal Ali, Agha, 2004. "DEA Malmquist productivity measure: New insights with an application to computer industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 239-249, November.
- Hee-Seok Oh & Ta-Hsin Li, 2004. "Corrigendum: Estimation of global temperature fields from scattered observations by a spherical-wavelet-based spatially adaptive method," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 973-973.
- ., 2004. "La position extérieure de la France à fin 2003 : une diminution significative du solde de la position nette vis-à-vis de l’étranger," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 126, pages 47-56.
- Alan D. Lopez & Colin D. Mathers & Majid Ezzati & Dean T. Jamison & Christopher J. L. Murray, 2006. "Global Burden of Disease and Risk Factors," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7039, February.
- Li, Zi-Zhen & Li, Wei-De & Li, Wen-Long, 2004. "Dry-period irrigation and fertilizer application affect water use and yield of spring wheat in semi-arid regions," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 133-143, March.
- Chunguang Li & Guangrong Chen & Xiaofeng Liao & Juebang Yu, 2004. "Hopf bifurcation and chaos in a single inertial neuron model with time delay," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 41(3), pages 337-343, October.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Li, Bing & Fruin, Jerry E. & Hirsch, Rodolfo, 2004. "Global Shifts in Agro-Industrial Capital and the Case of Soybean Crushing: Implications for Managers and Policy Makers," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 7(02).
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004.
"Modelling the differences in counted outcomes using bivariate copula models with application to mismeasured counts,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 566-584, December.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004. "Modeling the Differences in Counted Outcomes using Bivariate Copula Models: with Application to Mismeasured Counts," Working Papers 43, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- ., 2004. "Indicateurs de productivité," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 121, pages 115-117.
- James J. Heckman & Xuesong Li, 2004.
"Selection bias, comparative advantage and heterogeneous returns to education: evidence from China in 2000,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 155-171, October.
- Heckman, James & Li, Xuesong, 2003. "Selection bias, comparative advantage and heterogeneous returns to education: Evidence from China in 2000," Working Paper Series 2003:17, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Heckman, James J. & Li, Xuesong, 2003. "Selection Bias, Comparative Advantage and Heterogeneous Returns to Education: Evidence from China in 2000," IZA Discussion Papers 829, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Donggen Wang & Jiukun Li & Harry Timmermans, 2004. "Measuring bifurcation points in choice behavior: principles and illustration," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(6), pages 1125-1138, June.
- Art Durnev & Kan Li & Randall Mørck & Bernard Yeung, 2004.
"Capital markets and capital allocation: Implications for economies in transition,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 593-634, December.
- Artyom Durnev & Randall Morck & Bernard Yeung, 2001. "Capital Markets and Capital Allocation: Implications for Economies in Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 417, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2004. "The Impact of Privatization and Competition in the Telecommunications Sector around the World," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 395-430, October.
- Li, Lianfa & Fleisher, Belton M., 2004. "Heterogeneous expectations and stock prices in segmented markets: application to Chinese firms," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 521-538, September.
- ., 2004. "L’attractivité de la France au travers d’une sélection d’indicateurs," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 123, pages 79-94.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Li, Shi, 2004. "Expenditures on education and health care and poverty in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 292-301.
- Mogni Ali, 2004. "Le handicap de l’éducation pour les économies africaines (The handicap of education for the african economics)," Working Papers 74, Laboratoire de Recherche sur l'Industrie et l'Innovation. ULCO / Research Unit on Industry and Innovation.
- Li, Chin-Shang & Hunt, Daniel, 2004. "Regression splines for threshold selection with application to a random-effects logistic dose-response model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-9, May.
- Yang, Jun & Li, Yu & Veeman, Michele M., 2004. "Time Allocations on Farming and Non-paid Domestic Work: The Behavior of Farmers in Poor Areas of China," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20211, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- John Dimmick & Yan Chen & Zhan Li, 2004. "Competition Between the Internet and Traditional News Media: The Gratification-Opportunities Niche Dimension," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 19-33.
- Qiping Shen & Heng Li & Jacky Chung & Pui-Yee Hui, 2004. "A framework for identification and representation of client requirements in the briefing process," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 213-221.
- Kannan Ramaswamy & Mingfang Li & Barbara S. Pécherot Petitt, 2004. "Who Drives Unrelated Diversification? A Study of Indian Manufacturing Firms," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 403-423, December.
- Hee-Seok Oh & Ta-Hsin Li, 2004. "Estimation of global temperature fields from scattered observations by a spherical-wavelet-based spatially adaptive method," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 221-238.
- Li, Renpu & Wang, Zheng-ou, 2004. "Mining classification rules using rough sets and neural networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 439-448, September.
- Li, Chin-Shang & Cheng, Cheng, 2004. "Stable classification with applications to microarray data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 599-609, October.
- Jan Wenzelburger & Xihao Li, 2004. "Price Formation and Asset Allocations of the Electronic Trading System Xetra," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 198, Society for Computational Economics.
- Li, Xiao-Yan & Xie, Zhong-Kui & Yan, Xiang-Kui, 2004. "Runoff characteristics of artificial catchment materials for rainwater harvesting in the semiarid regions of China," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 211-224, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijm:journl:v:4:y:2011:i:3:p:57-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jinjing Li)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.