Macroeconomic Instability, Financial Repression and Islamic Banking in Sudan
This article examines the practice, problems and potential of Islamic banking inSudan. The study demonstrates an unprecedented decline in both financial and real variables. It argues that the activities of Islamic banks in the country are constrained by the macroeconomic environment in general and repressive monetary and credit policy in particular. The paper concludes that when such constraints are removed only then the Islamic banking system may make a meaningful contribution to financial and economic growth in Sudan.
Volume (Year): 6 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Gombak, 53100 Kuala Lumpur|
Phone: (603) 6196 4770
Fax: (603) 6196 4850
Web page: http://www.iium.edu.my/enmjournal/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Adam B. Elhiraika, 1996. "Risk-Sharing And The Supply Of Agricultural Credit: A Case Study Of Islamic Finance In Sudan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 390-402.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995.
"Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1462, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Financial Intermediation And Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
124, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Abbas Mirakhor & Mohsin S. Khan, 1991. "Islamic Banking," IMF Working Papers 91/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Khan, Mohsin S & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1990. "Islamic Banking: Experiences in the Islamic Republic of Iran and in Pakistan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 353-75, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ije:journl:v:1:y:1998:i:2:p:61-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gairuzazmi Mat Ghani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.