An Integrated Framework for Analyzing Multiple Financial Regulations
In this companion paper to Goodhart et al. (2012), we explore the interactions of various types of financial regulation. We find that regulations that control fire-sale risk are critical for delivering financial stability and improving the welfare of savers and borrowers. We describe the combinations of capital regulations, margin requirements, liquidity regulation, and dynamic provisioning that are most effective in this respect. A policy featuring margin requirements together with countercyclical capital requirements delivers equal or better outcomes for the economy than does an unregulated financial system. But it is easy to produce combinations of regulation that look sensible but, when combined, have adverse effects on the economy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Goodhart & Anil K Kashyap & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Alexandros Vardoulakis, 2012.
"Financial Regulation in General Equilibrium,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp702, Financial Markets Group.
- Goodhart, Ch. A. E. & Kashyap, A. K. & Tsomocos, D. P. & Vardoulakis, A. P., 2012. "Financial Regulation in General Equilibrium," Working papers 372, Banque de France.
- Charles A.E. Goodhart & Anil K Kashyap & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos & Alexandros P. Vardoulakis, 2012. "Financial Regulation in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 17909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2010.
"Fire Sales in Finance and Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
16642, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2009.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(6), pages 2201-2238, June.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2009.
"Credit Spreads and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
15289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2013:q:0:a:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bank for International Settlements)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.